Tuesday, January 15, 2013
I made this up as I went along last night but need to write it down for future use. Ooooh doggy as it good! An absolute winner and perfect for the cold front that is moving through town. It's hearty and filling and yummy. Oh and it is SOOO fast to make. Unlike lasagna which takes quite a while to both assemble and cook. This was done in under an hour. And probably less, but I had to walk the dog so I just let this simmer while we took our evening stroll.
It can be made very low fat if you use ground turkey instead of sausage. One thing I don't use is fat free ricotta cheese. I used to but then I tasted part skim and I am a convert. It has a much better flavor and texture. The fat free has a strange plastic-like feel to it. But you go ahead and use whatever makes you happy.
* 1 small package sausage or ground meat
* 2 tsp minced garlic
* 1 jar of pasta sauce
* 1 small can tomato paste
* 1 can diced tomatoes
* 2 tbls Italian seasoning
* 1 tbls dried onion
* water (fill pasta sauce jar x3)
* 1 box of your favorite pasta
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1/2-1 cup ricotta cheese, plus more for topping
* mozzarella cheese for topping
* In large, heavy bottom pot, brown meat in a little EVOO until cooked through. As it cooks, break meat into smaller chunks with a spoon.
* Add minced garlic and cook for a few minutes. Careful not to burn garlic.
* Add pasta sauce, tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Add seasoning.
* Fill sauce jar with water about three times and add water to pot. It will seem very watery- don't worry.
* Mix well and adjust seasoning as needed.
* Turn temp down to med-low if you plan to leave to walk your dog. Otherwise keep an eye on it.
* Add box of pasta.
* Once pasta has cooked and soup has thickened up as a result, add ricotta cheese. Mix well and again taste for seasoning.
* Serve topped with ricotta and mozzarella cheeses and a big green salad.
** To make in the crockpot, brown meat first and then put everything, including pasta, into your crockpot on low all day.