Friday, January 11, 2013
DIY: S'more Kits
Every Christmas, I give sort of a themed gift to the five kids in my family. Though one of them is 17 now so I think he might be aging out of the kid gifts. Here are links to the last few years.
And here is what I did this year. Which I decided to do well over six months ago. When I found marshmallow/hot dog roasting sticks in the $1 section at Target this past summer. They are awesome because they extend to about double their length.
* 1 marshmallow roasting stick
* 1 bag of homemade marshmallows
* 2 little bags of graham crackers
* lots of chocolate and candy bars
* Make marshmallows. This year I made strawberry, vanilla bean and orange creamsicle flavors. Or you could buy them too. But homemade really puts this otherwise simple gift over the top.
* Wrap marshmallows up in cello bag and tie with grosgrain ribbon.
* In a large cello bag, add colorful paper shred at the bottom. Place one package of graham crackers on either side, chocolate in the center, marshmallows on top and roasting stick in back (sharp side INSIDE the bag). Tie closed with a colorful grosgrain ribbon.
This gift is so simple to put together. I used a variety of chocolate candy bars, thinking that they would make for more unique s'mores. In reality, I think the kids just ate the candy. But whatever- it's theirs to use as they wish and it was Christmas after all. They seemed to be a hit with kids big and small in the family (the college kid got one too but his included a few extras like lotto scratch off tickets).
So the next time you are in need of a gift and have no idea what to get, don't overlook a s'more kit. It's ageless and whimsical!